Sunday, February 12, 2017

Playing it Safe?



The text is Matthew 21:28-33 the Parable of the Two Sons: “But what do you think about this? A man with two sons told the older boy, ‘Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.’ The son answered, ‘No, I won’t go,’ but later he changed his mind and went anyway. Then the father told the other son, ‘You go,’ and he said, ‘Yes, sir, I will.’ But he didn’t go. “Which of the two obeyed his father?” Which of the two obeyed his father?” They replied, “The first.” "Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do.  For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sins."

Let us pray.

no with your mouth and yes with your heart. or yes with your mouth and no with your heart.

What would cause someone to say yes with their mouth and no with their heart? I really like being the "yes" person. It feels good to tell people yes. They smile and look relieved and you get to be the hero of the moment. But the saying yes can be a cover up – Sometimes we say yes because we want to get someone off our back, or we want them to like us or we feel like we can't say no.

What does it say about the relationship between the two parties?  ‘Yes, sir, I will,’ but you have no intention of following through. It’s a “get off my back” kind of answer. An “if I answer you, will you leave me alone?” kind of answer. And worst of all, it’s a “I know better than you” kind of answer because you said yes but then you decided that it wasn’t important or that it didn’t really need doing and you didn’t even think it was worth arguing about. The attitude behind this betrays a broken relationship and disrespect for the authority of the asker.

What about the other son? What makes you say no with your mouth and yes with your heart? This happened to me last year around this time.  David was writing his licensing paper for the Covenant. He asked me if I would read over his answers to make sure they sounded ok (most of you know this, but English is not his first language and he sometimes words things or spells things incorrectly - like the word double - he thought it was spelled d-o-p-p-l-e for a long time) and I was so tired and didn’t want to read through them and so I whined a little and said “please don’t make me do that” and he said ok I guess they’ll just have to be good enough. And he didn’t pout or ask me again but as the evening wore on, I thought about how he never complains when I do things like spend time with friends or work on Saturdays and how he does the laundry and how he rarely asks for help and how insecure he feels about writing things and I couldn’t take it anymore - I said “OK, I WILL read it!”

I couldn’t bear to not do it. I was compelled by his love for me and mine for him and I couldn’t sit with the “no” any longer. He’s my best friend. You don’t say no to your friends.

Jesus wants to be your friend. In John 15:15 He says "I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me."

Before you say “yes! Of course! I want to Jesus to be my friend!” let’s look at what was happening when Jesus said this. In order to be friends, you have to trust each other so He’s letting them in on the plan. It’s the huddle before the big play. Dave Coleman preached on this last year, he paraphrased Jesus like this, “ok, you’re all gonna fail hard, Judas already did and Peter is going to mess up super bad, also, I’m going to die. trust Me.”

This is a huge test of trust. a test of friendship. Now all of a sudden it doesn’t seem like such a great idea to be Jesus’ friend. When we can’t see what God is doing or if it looks like things are getting darker, it is hard to trust. it is hard to believe that God is doing anything good. 

The disciples had just enough information to make them terrified. And then what happens next? Jesus is taken into custody, put on trial and killed.
Let’s sit there for a minute. In that moment. Those few days. What would that have felt like?

We get a glimpse from the disciples on the road to Emmaus in Luke 24 - listen to what they say in the Message paraphrase “Jesus the Nazarene...He was a man of God, a prophet, dynamic in work and word, blessed by both God and all the people. Then our high priests and leaders betrayed him, got him sentenced to death, and crucified him. And we had our hopes up that he was the One, the One about to deliver Israel. And it is now the third day since it happened. But now some of our women have completely confused us. Early this morning they were at the tomb and couldn’t find his body. They came back with the story that they had seen a vision of angels who said he was alive. Some of our friends went off to the tomb to check and found it empty just as the women said, but they didn’t see Jesus.”

We had our hopes up. You see, this disappointment with God, this “I don’t understand what has happened, how could things have gotten so bad” moment is so painful. So painful that we don’t know what to do with it. My God, why have you forsaken me?
Joshua Dusk Peebles described it this way, “We have lost something that we think we need from God. We need an answer. We need information. We need to know how it is and He won’t give it to us or can’t give it to us or we can’t understand it and so we say Fine! Fine, God. I’m not rejecting You - I will do what You tell me to do. I’ll do it. I’ll go through the motions, but I’m going to keep you over here…” Yes with our mouth but no with our heart.

The truth is we don’t trust God. not really. as soon as there is a real price to pay or an unanswered question or a deep wound, we feel like God has betrayed us. and so we go through the motions. play by the rules. toe the line. all the while gritting our teeth and bearing it.

God came and lived here. as a human. a man. a baby first, then a man. And he showed us how to live. He isn’t the big general sitting in the air conditioned office sending the soldiers off to fight. He sent Himself to the front lines. And it was not safe. and people hated him. and even His closest friends turned their backs on Him when it really got bad. this reality is frightening to us. we’re not sure if we’re all in.

I think these two sons boil down to two attitudes: play it safe vs. go for broke! And let’s face it, prostitutes and tax collectors have a go for broke attitude in life. They’ve got nothing to lose - and they have no pretense left! They are what they are. Desperate. Graspers. misdirected, yes. but definitely going for broke.

Willing to sell out their neighbors or sell their bodies to get what they want or need. They've lost everything or lost enough to think that they've got nothing left to lose. They aren't caught up in what anyone thinks of them or what society's rules are – they are moral, religious, and cultural outsiders

They are definitely not playing it safe.

We can’t afford to either.

We have to stop playing it safe. Safety is the god of this age.  Just last Sunday, as I was getting ready for church, I prayed that God would bring David and Nolan home safe from their camp-out. That felt selfish, so then I asked that all the boy scouts would be safe. Why stop there, I thought and I laughed at myself a little. I thought of all the safety prayers God hears and that made me pause.

What if they don't come home safe? What am I asking God for? Do I think if I pray the right way or live the right way or ask enough times that God will do what I ask Him to do? This is how the Pharisees operated. Their legalistic way of living made them think that they had God figured out. That they had Him in their corner.  or maybe even in their pocket. But as Brennan Manning points out, "The tendency in legalistic religion is to mistrust God, to mistrust others, and consequently, to mistrust ourselves."

Taking a moment in silence, I realized that safety wasn't and isn't my strongest desire. I took a deep breath and prayed instead, "Whatever happens, help me to be faithful."

because sometimes people don’t make it home safe. sometimes the diagnosis is terminal. sometimes horrible unspeakable things happen to us or someone we love. sometimes the world around us is devastating and hopeless and terrifying.

Jesus isn’t promising us an easy life. He is just promising to be with us. “I have told you all this so that you may have peace in Me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

Let’s stand under the cross one more time. This time let’s stand there with Mary, the mother of Jesus. The redemption of the world is about to be accomplished but it will cost Mary the life of her son. God so loved the world that He gave His son – but He asked Mary to give her son, too.

There is no resurrection without death.

“The Son of Man must suffer many terrible things,” Jesus said. “He will be rejected by the elders, the leading priests, and the teachers of religious law. He will be killed, but on the third day he will be raised from the dead.” Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it."

Frederick Buechner says "…the life you clutch, hoard, guard, and play safe with is in the end a life worth little to anybody, including yourself; and only a life given away for love’s sake is a life worth living. To bring this point home, God shows us a Man who gave His life away to the extent of dying a national disgrace without a penny in the bank or a friend to His name. In terms of men’s wisdom, He was a perfect fool, and anybody who thinks he can follow Him without making something like the same kind of fool of himself is laboring not under a cross, but a delusion."

Mary was just an ordinary person willing to be used by God. And when God asked her, she said, “Yes”

What about you? What are you saying to God today?

I encourage you to go for broke! Say yes with your mouth AND with your heart.